Monday, October 29, 2018

Freelance...

On a recent Saturday morning, my Mom, cousin and 'park expert', Brian and I took a walk to the beach at Negwegon State Park.  I adore the park but hadn't visited it for ages.  Back in the day, I would jump in my old jeep with my lab riding shotgun and hit the primitive trails leading there.  I love the secluded, quiet, natural beauty.

Walking in, I saw the park through new eyes.  Brian told us the park is named after a Chippewa Indian named Chief Negwegon, and his name, translates as 'the wing.'  The Chief considered the spot a prime hunting area. I did not know that!  Being from Ossineke-'the place of the image stone'-I am always fascinated with the Native American names and history.  I like to picture a bare chested, feather head dressed  Indian brave, stalking stealthily through the woods.  But that's a whole another blog!

Our stroll took us down by the water to the shoreline that rivals an Outer Banks beach.  Wide, white sand beach as far as the eye can see, in both directions.  The waves had been high, so I didn't find any beach glass.  We took the opportunity to pick up ciggie buts and other detritus left by disrespectful visitors.  I was flooded with memories of laughing, bonfires, and beachy days.

Brian continued to point out features as we walked back to the car, making it back just before the rain started.  We stopped to snap my pic.  I totally enjoyed my literal walk down memory lane and will not wait so long to do it again.

Taking a walk in the fall, in a place you love, with people you love is good for the soul.  I can't recommend it enough.

Have a great week, Dolls. XO