Monday, October 1, 2018

Rainy Days and Mondays...

Happy October!  Yes, it's my favorite time of year-the pumpkin candles, fall leaf colors, crisp air, flannel shirts, and crock pot dinners.

This weekend while buried in a good book, 'The Perfect Mother,' I learned a new word.  As a good Norwegian girl, I was happy to learn the word, 'hygge.'  Pronounced 'HYU-gah,'  it loosely means cozy, togetherness and well being.  Scandinavian countries are known as the happiest countries on earth and have adapted to their adverse weather by using this method.  During long dark and cold days, Scands purposefully focus on physical and mental well being by snuggling in and striving for total comfort.  It may be practiced alone or with family and friends, but the focus is on feeling cozy inside and out. It is the acknowledgment of a special feeling or moment.

Waking up to a cold, rainy day today gave me the perfect opportunity to practice hygge.  I turned the furnace up a bit and then got a big cup of coffee.  I lit a pumpkin brulee candle and selected my favorite snuggly blanket and settled in to finish my book.  Instead of feeling as gray as the weather, I enjoyed a strong sense of well being and comfort.  I refused to dwell on anything negative and took a total mental break.  After a couple hours of this perfect indulgence, I felt happy and positive and ready to take on the more mundane things that start my week.

As the colder weather approaches, I suggest that you slow down and practice a little hygge.  It's free, easy and the perfect method of self-care that I know.

Happy Fall, my dears. xo





No comments: