Thursday, February 21, 2008

Her name is Lola......


Okay. So I've waited long enough. Time to talk about and surely bore you stiff regarding my darling cat, Lola. About 3 years ago, I found myself craving some "pet love" and decided to do something to remedy the sitch. Problem being, I am extremely allergic to dogs and cats--no just a sneeze here and there oh no the uglyreditchyeyedsneezingconstantlyIcan'tbreatheI'mgonnaDIE kind. Ironically and sadly enough nobody loves animals more than me. So how did I ever determine this burning urge given the annoying allergy thing? Well, the allergies didn't show their ugliness till I was around 25 and had owned a few dogs by this time. So to own a pet now without being drugged into delirium and with an inhaler glued to my lips, would take a little talent. I have heard about hypo allergic dogs with non offensive dander, but a dog just doesn't fit my lifestyle with the exception of the fantasy that said dog would MAKE me run 5 miles a day. There were also rumblings about a cat with non-offensive dander, but I have never really been a cat lover--total dog person--or so I thought. Happens that the Pet Expo was going on in Novi, and uncharacteristically, I braved the drive and the crowd to check out some critter possibilities. Armed with a quadruple dose of Benadryl inhaler, I made my way over to the Bengal section. Now, to be sure, I really am more about a rescue pet from the pound than a "designer cat". Making my way over to the Bengal section, I saw the most beautiful cats ever. They look just like little leopards! Come to find out, they are a nationally recognized breed, that was created and bred by a woman here in little old DETROIT! Holla to the D! The cats actually have Asian leopard as part of their breed--which explains the decidedly wild look. The build is long muscular and lean and the face is very box like with large eyes. Just a total coinkydink that they are the perfect spotted accessory! Another interesting tidbit is that Bengals are known to be the dog of the cat world. What? Well, seems they will follow you around like a dog, are not afraid of water, and can be leashed trained to walk outdoors! So, after learning of this info from a breeder, I finally held a Bengal cat. She immediately stared at me curiously and started to purr. How hooked am I? How much $$ No kidding. Well, I will have to think about it. For about 2 seconds! I quickly located a local breeder in Romeo and sped out there to get me a kitty. And there she was. Lola is comin' home with me! Three years later, she can make about 10 different sounds, is a total athlete, and the cuddly love o' my life. She was born on Valentines Day in Romeo, Michigan!!! How perfect. The rest is history as you can imagine. All I can say is that I TOTALLY recommend a Bengal as a fabulous pet option if you suffer the malady--or even if you don't. Now, if I can just get her to MAKE me run 5 miles a day...(sing along with me--you know you want to--EL-OH-EL-LAY, Lola!) xo

3 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jodi,
I'm so glad you're feeling better and you haven't got whatever this wretched thing is that's got ahold on me (and it ain't love -- ha ha!) Such a beautiful picture of Lola -- what a strange thing that those cats are bred here -- how totally cool!

Anonymous said...

Lola Lu!!! we love her croak amongst her other sounds. Give her a neck scratch for me!!! Shine up her Tiara!!

steve said...

hi po. love that cat. cant wait till florida so i can spoil her...steve